The “Triple Sinks” (Miracles) that Started this Blog

Have you ever had anything happen that seemed like a miracle? Or maybe it was something that was just such a wild coincidence that it seemed like something more than a coincidence?

I have.

As I explained in the About Me section of this blog, I believe a miracle occurred in my life last year when a carriage house for me to rent, and the money to rent it, fell in my lap, seemingly out of the sky, while I was living out of my parents’ guest room. It was too weird. It was one of those chill-giving, “whoa” moments, where you know something energetic just happened, but you don’t know what or how.

20161012_192114

Well, this was not my first “whoa” moment. I had had several crazy coincidences over the previous year. I realize now that the universe was poking me with a big stick, and I am just the densest human being on the planet. But the more I noticed these coincidences, the more they happened. And finally, I was like, “Enough!! I have to figure this out! Stop poking me, mother f*-er!” Of course, I said this with absolute joy in my heart, because smart spiritual people don’t call the universe a “mother f*-er.”

So after the carriage house fell out of the sky, I started researching religions, philosophy and science and discovering things. And praying. And meditating. The more I researched, the more aware I became, and I gradually had a shift in consciousness: a recognition of something that I thought I believed but had never known or internalized.

About a month later, I had another crazy coincidence. I took a meeting with a friend who was interested in opening a business and wanted my perspective as a patient. We met to discuss a wellness education center where she would offer healthy food and classes. Now, I was high on love and gratitude at the time. I was deep in the spiritual. So prior to the meeting, I asked her if she minded praying with me, because I was really getting into this crazy spiritual sh*t. Thankfully, she is such a sweet person that she didn’t roll her eyes. I mean, who asks to pray before a meeting? And who curses about their religious experiences?!! (I do)

We bowed our heads, and I thanked the universe for bringing us together and prayed that it would give her what she needed to help as many people as possible. As the meeting progressed, we spent a good bit of time discussing what she would need to have a commercial kitchen set up—how she’d need a grease trap, a triple sink, a hood, and what was a triple sink again? Finally, it was lunch time, and we were starving, so we ran up to a strip mall restaurant for some yummy food.

As we pulled up to the strip mall into a parking place, here comes a man out of the store directly in front of my car carrying something large. On closer examination, we realized that he was carrying a triple sink from a commercial kitchen. My friend laughed, “Hahaha. There’s my triple sink!” And I said, “That IS your triple sink. Watch!”20160414_164343

I got out of the car and said, “what are you doing with that triple sink?” The man replied, “I was gonna throw it in that dumpster. Do you want it?” I said, “Maybe.” I was driving my tiny Honda Accord and had no room for anything. Then, he said, “Well, I have a whole kitchen full of commercial kitchen equipment that I am trying to get rid of in here. You can have all of it for free.”  Then, he and his helpers proceeded to pull out 15 square feet of commercial kitchen equipment, a sink, shelving, pots and pans, a trap, furniture, and put it on the curb for us to have.

At this point, my friend and I were laughing so hard that it hurt. I mean, what the hell??!! We ask for help, talk about commercial kitchen equipment, and here it is?

Then, we realized that we had another dilemma.

We knew that we had no way to transport any of it with my tiny car. I looked at my friend and said, “Well, God gave you all of this equipment; I guess he’ll help us find a way to transport it.” We both had to leave for previous engagements, so we decided to leave the equipment, hope it didn’t get pilfered (a tall order in a large metro area) and rent a truck the next day at Home Depot. We hoped for the best and left.

The next morning when I called my friend to arrange our trip to Home Depot, she said, “Great news! My ex-boyfriend called me last night and happened to have some workers on a moving truck in the area, and they picked up all the equipment and delivered it to my house for free!”20160414_153457

We both just howled with laughter.

POKE. POKE. POKE.

POKE. POKE. POKE.

WAKE UUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!

Have you had your wake-up call?

I know miracles are a stretch for some of you.  They were a stretch for me, too. I mean, I went to college, y’all. I gots degreez and designationz. With honors. I love science. I believe in evolution and global warming. I certainly didn’t believe in any of the miracles in the Bible. To me, the Bible was just a book of stories to help us, much like fairy tales. I never ever prayed, because I believed, even if there were some cosmic, God-like force, it did not participate in the material world.

So I know what skeptical is.

But I invite you to open your mind and suspend your disbelief. Think of something, anything, that has ever happened to you that gave you the chills or took your breath away or just made you say, “huh, that’s weird.”

For example, have you ever thought about someone right before you received a call from them? Or talked about someone you hadn’t seen in 20 years and then run into them the next day? Or had someone, who knew nothing about you, tell you something that you needed to hear at the exact moment you needed to hear it? How about finding or receiving something that seems irrelevant only to discover that it’s exactly what you needed two days later? Have you ever heard of someone who tried to get pregnant and gave up, and the minute they went to adopt they got pregnant? (Hahaha. I know, that last one is a little specific. But I will explain that in a later post.)

Think about it.

What are your crazy coincidences and triple sinks?

And if you feel inclined, share a coincidence with us in the comments section below.

In my next post, I’ll tell you about the first science I found to explain what is actually a magic unicorn world where commercial kitchen equipment and carriage houses can fall from the sky. It’s twisty, out-there, nutso, rainbow, bat-sh*t crazy.  But it’s also science.

And it’s a world where YOU matter.

Until then, joy and laughter to you. And triple sinks.

Ashley

15 Comments

• MK Cabaniss

November 29, 2016 at 8:32 am

Hilarious! I love it and have laughed about “nudges” from the universe or God, but I now prefer the word “poked” because that’s exactly what it is. Thank you for sharing! xoxo

• Laura Braam

November 29, 2016 at 12:48 pm

Ashley,
    This is beautifully written. No surprise there. I had a REALLY cool “miracle” in summer 2015. My younger brother was hospitalized suddenly and (at the time) and not predicted to survive. I had been flying into Dallas in sheer panic for years to tend to my dad, who had been in a horrifying (at times) cancer battle that included two 30+ day hospitalization (mainly in the ICU) and a massive heart attack. So, my track record of flying into chaos (and being medical power of attorney – urgh) was strong and recent. However, this happened just months after my dad died, and I was weary. I accidentally reserved my rental car at Love Field but was flying into DFW. To understand what happened next, you have to know that my mom died from cancer back in 2006. She and I had an ongoing joke about the color yellow. Since her death, yellow had popped up in the most hilarious and not-at-all-accidental ways. It started with the flower arrangement I ordered for our church the day we christened my second-born and scattered my mom’s ashes – which also happened to be Easter (the day my dad died 10 years later). It was the yellowest flower arrangement you’d ever seen. Horrible, really. Then, Marguerite left yellow tulips on my porch on her death-iversary one year – and did not know this story. Then, my friends from Dallas brought me an all-yellow bouquet from the grocery when Dad died, with apologies that “that’s all they had” – they didn’t know. So, of course, I land in DFW in a sheer panic, racing (or trying) to the hospital, and I have no rental car. Every single desk says no to me. Then, there was this random rental desk off to the side that I’d never heard of. I swear it felt like Platform 9 3/4. There, but not there. The lady had a sparkle in her eye. She clicked and clacked on the computer. Called out to someone in the back. Then said “I have one car left.” She gave me the keys and sent me out to the lot to find it, row this, slot that. The usual. There it was, a bright yellow Beetle in a sea of tan, white, red and black rental cars. I just started crying right there in the lot. Oh, and when I realized I had no idea how to get to the hospital from DFW and my phone had died, I pulled into a random CVS in the middle of nowhere to get a charger. Standing right there, inside the doorway, was my dad’s best childhood friend. With a hug from him and a yellow car, I was off to help my brother. There are so many other examples like this in my life, too. So so many. Thank you for doing this blog. I look forward to following along!

• Ashley

September 21, 2017 at 4:54 pm

Laura, thanks so much for sharing this! I loved seeing your post about your mom and dad the other day. I know you must miss them so much. During those life struggles, there is nothing more wonderful that when God/universe shows up. Those winks. Reminder, Ashley, you are not alone– draw on the all. Thanks for reading my blog. (Sorry it’s taken me this long to master blog commenting and respond– wordpress for dummies) If one person enjoys this blog, that’s enough for me! xxoo

• Mary Tveit

November 29, 2016 at 1:33 pm

I can’t wait to read your next post—I need to know more about this magical unicorn! And ps,I love bat-shit crazy and miracles and god and cursing and science and food and YOU! So excited for you and the launch of this amazing blog. xoxoxox

• Amy Martin

November 29, 2016 at 4:18 pm

Oh how I love this!! Love, love, love this. I laughed and cried reading it. And I am SO glad you included a picture of the equipment 🙂 already waiting for your next installment.

• Ashley

September 21, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Thanks, Amy! In my continued learning of wordpress, I am mastering “responses to comments” this week. I hope you will keep on reading this work in progress. Love ya, girl! xxoo

• Giffney Nagel

November 29, 2016 at 6:32 pm

Love your story and you for sharing it so honestly. My sister in law really enjoyed it as well. Keep up the posts! Also, I need to introduce you to my Decatur friend, Kristin Smith, who is doing/studying integrative health. She started the journey about a year ago. You guys need to connect. xoxo

• Kat

November 29, 2016 at 7:57 pm

WOW what great moments! Really amazing. And the harder “whoa” moments you had prior to the good ones are probably just as important. I always feel like those tough ones are the ones where I got in the way of the plan…but they still served a purpose.
    A few of my whoa moments: I prayed pretty hard before packing up everything in my car and moving to CO without a very little cash. A week later my roommate’s mom reminded her that her cousin’s husband in CO did similar work as me and he hired me the next week. I’ve been there 18 years.
    I broke up with my boyfriend of 3 years at 28, and prayed that I could just find “the one” quickly without years of dating (I was so over it). 3 months later met(Kevin) the guy with all the awesome qualities I listed when I prayed – mom always says, “just ask, be specific”. 🙂
    The latest is our last house hunt. I almost didn’t know what I wanted or where, and I know how easy it would be for me to start getting narrow visioned, so I just asked God to find the house that was best for us. We looked a ton and got stuck on one we couldn’t seem to let go of – we almost made a contingency deal as we got so anxious about not getting it. My brother in law called right then and gave us words of wisdom and talked us out of that contingency. It was everything I already knew but needed to hear and LISTEN. We got our current house under contract, and right before we made the offer on our have-to-have-iit house we looked at another house that just came on the market that day. I was underwhelmed. We made our offer, and the realtor came back and said – after this house sat for a month- that another offer came in an hour before ours and they took it. So we went back to look at the underwhelming one and realized it had EVERYTHING we needed, and 3 blocks from the school and the pool we wanted to be near. I was just remaining open enough to other paths (voices) to let this happen.
    I always thought these and other moments were clearly God working in my life…and like yours, they were very moving.

• Ashley

September 21, 2017 at 5:02 pm

Love it, Kat! Yes, I try to remind myself to pay attention, pay attention. See how the universe moves. And also, when I let go and accept, that vacuum is always filled with something better than I could have imagined. Of course, letting go— that’s the rub. Big issues with that one lately for me. Miss you! Thanks for reading. xxoo

• kevin deforrest

November 30, 2016 at 12:25 am

There are no mere “coincidences” – they are synchronicities. Jung introduced the idea and many quantuum physicists, mystics, psychologists and philosophers have elaborated on the reality of synchronicity. They are a convergence of faith, science, dreams, wishes, desires, consequences, chances and circumstances – in an often benevolent universe that is conspiring FOR you. Hoping for them is not the path to finding. You’ve probably heard that “hope is not a strategy.” But belief, awareness, recognition, and gratitude are all good allies on the path toward fortuitous synchronicity. Surrendering to them – not giving up but giving one’s self over to the potency of possibility – might, ultimately, be the only way to bring the science/faith/imagination of potential to fruition. Nice writing and nice work, Ashley. i look forward to more, more, more!